Făgăraş County Museum
Făgăraş County Museum “Valer Literat” is the museum of a historical and ethnographic area representative for Romania, which was founded starting with the year 1923 based on the patrimony collected by professor Valer Literat, under the auspices of ASTRA. In the beginning, the museum was in its custody until 1951 when it was assigned to the Museum’s stable headquarters and received the status of state institution under the title of Făgăraş City Museum.
In 1973, the City Museum merged with the museum department which was founded in 1968 in Făgăraş Fortress and affiliated with the Brukenthal Museum from Sibiu. After this merger and until 1981 it was named Făgăraş Fortress Museum, and from this date, until 2004 it bore the name of Făgăraş County Museum. By an order of the Minister of Culture from 2004, it was decided the title of Făgăraş County Museum “Valer Literat” being classified in the category of county importance museums.
From the beginning, the museum carried a continuous historic and ethnographic research activity of the area, of enrichment, conservation, and scientific capitalization of its heritage.
As a museum of a mixed profile (history, ethnography, art), the museum includes in its patrimony a total number of 20 collections such as archaeology, weapons, numismatics, tiles, old books, documents, lapidary, glass factory, decorative and plastic art, popular pottery, popular costumes, fabrics, customs, icons on glass, the art of wood, crafts, and others.
The main exhibition represents the evolution of civilization from Făgăraş County in a series of significant moments and events. Based on the content of the patrimony, the main exhibition was structured in three sections: Făgăraş County’s history (from the Bronze Age until the 1st of December 1918), the area’s ethnography (ceramics, fabrics, popular costumes, rural interiors, icons, etc.) and decorative and plastic art.