Share the page
9806

Monea Ionaș’s genealogical stone

History

October 1 - October 31

In our museum’s patrimony, in the Lapidarium collection, it is preserved an interesting exhibit – a genealogical stone ordered in 1728, by the Greek-Catholic general vicar Ionaș Monea, a stone which represents his family’s genealogy.

The plaque with the Latin inscription was added on the wall of the house from Veneția de Jos, a house that belonged to Monea the vicar. It was discovered by the representative of the Transylvanian School, Samuil Micu, and recorded in his study, kept as a manuscript, Annales Principum Transalpinorum et Moldavicorum, together with another transcription. Another copy of the same inscription, closer to the original, was made around 1860 by Ioan Pușcariu. Nicolae Densușianu published for the first time, in 1885, Pușcariu’s copy, mentioning that this was partially degraded. This interesting and enigmatic inscription, which mentioned Negru Vodă, linking him to the year 1185, mentioned:

1185. Then lived Grigore the First of Veneția, Negru Vodă’s treasurer, from whom he got four valleys with forests and fields, gave birth to Grigore the Second (the year 1216). And this gave birth to Grigore, from whom was born Mailat (1250), daughter Comana and Grigore the Second. They divided (1279), Mailat got the first valley Cuciulata, and Comana the second valley, Grigore the third valley (1390), meaning Veneția and Pârâul Sărat. And Grigore gave birth to the third Grigore, Stoica, and Toma. They divided, Grigore got the entire fourth valley and gave birth to Ștefan and Grigore (1449). And he gave birth to Solomon (who was named Mone after his mother) and Ștefan Mone. And Solomon gave birth to Man Mone (1499). He gave birth to the second Ștefan Mone, and he to Voicu Mone, who gave birth to the second Man Mone and he to Ioan Mone from whom was born Ionaș Mone, the venerable general vicar, 1728.” 

Nicolae Densușianu publishes, in the paper Monuments for the history of Făgăraș County a series of documents of the Monea family, the oldest from 20th of April 1628 when Gheorghe Rakoczi I confirms in the “boyar state” the existence of Solomon Monea from Veneția de Jos, with his brothers and sons “with the conditions of supporting all the tasks and services with which they are indebted at Făgăraș castle”.

The genealogical stone presents, in the upper part a coat of arms in which is distinguishable a hand carrying a cross and a bypassed bird, separated from the rods. The hand carrying a cross is linked to Ionaș Monea’s rank, the editor of this stone, who was a general vicar. Regarding the bypassed bird, used as an insignia by the rulers of Wallachia, it tries to illustrate Ionaș Monea’s genealogical claims, a descendant of “Grigore the treasurer”, boyar of Negru Vodă, from whom he might have received the domains in Făgăraș. Of course, an old tradition will have been preserved in the vicar’s family and also some documents that entitled their representative to draw up, in 1728, a genealogy whose heads are lost in a very distant past.